Which One Would You Choose: Spectra S2 Vs Medela Pump In Style?
Searching for a breast pump is one of those things that you should pay a lot of attention to as a mother. Luckily, there are many breast pump options out there to pick from, and you only need to determine what works well for you.
And if you are searching for something from a reputable manufacturer the chances are that you might end up having to pick between two models from different brands.
For many moms out there the dilemma is always to choose between the Spectra S2 and Medela Pump In Style. Both are some of the best pumps on the market, and they are handy and convenient for moms.
But perhaps understanding their features, pros and shortcomings should make the decision easy.
Spectra S2 vs Medela Pump In Style
- Closed System: Hygiene is most moms’ biggest concern when using a breast pump, but Spectra takes care of this with a closed system. There is a substantial barrier between the milk and pump to ensure that the two never mix to guarantee proper hygiene and motor performance.
- Controls: It uses buttons instead of dials like most other pumps. And there is also a digital display that makes it easy to see the program at a glance.
- Modes: The Spectra S2 has both letdown and expression modes to make pumping relaxed and more comfortable for moms. Also switching between the modes is very straightforward, and you can do it anytime you want.
- Night Light: There are many situations where the night light on the Spectra S2 will be helpful. You can use it to sooth the baby to sleep and also provide some light for you to pump milk without distracting your sleeping infant.
- Timer: The timer also helps with the customization and to make the pump more convenient for the moms. You can set it to pump for a specific amount of time as you do something else like reading a book or working on your computer.
- Suction Power: It is a powerful hospital grade pump with a maximum suction power of 300mmHg. You can use it both as a single and double pump thanks to the massive power, but it remains very comfortable.
- It provides a quiet and comfortable pumping experience.
- This pump includes both a night light and timer for convenience.
- The push buttons are easier to use than the dials you get on most other pumps.
- You can adjust the suction when in both the letdown and suction modes.
- It is one of the lightest pumps out there and hence making it easily portable.
- For a double electric breast pump, it is quite an affordable unit.
- Spectra S2 is very hygienic thanks to the closed system that provides backflow protection.
- This pump provides a powerful suction to help you express more milk within a short time.
- It would be better if it could hold more than one bottle.
- There are no batteries when you get the pump.
- The Spectra S2 does not come with storage caps.
Medela Pump In Style
- 2-Phase Expression Tech: This technology includes a one-touch letdown button, and it ensures that you get more milk in less time while also guaranteeing maximum comfort when pumping.
- Double Pumping Design: It is a dual pump kit that comes with a 24mm breast shield, and you can also get additional sizes such as the 36mm separately.
- Microfiber Bag: The pump is built into a stylish microfiber bag that makes it easy to transport and to organize all the parts and bottles that you need to pump milk.
- Single Knob Adjustment: You can adjust the vacuum/speed using a single knob that is easy to locate and use. This knob ensures that you always get a comfortable setting adjustment.
- Cooler System: With this double breast pump you never have to worry about your milk going bad as it comes with a removable cooler bag. This bag also includes a contoured ice pack that holds up to four 5-ounce milk bottles and keeps them cold.
- Battery Pack: You can buy a battery pack separately to make this an even more convenient pump as it will make it possible to express milk from anywhere.
- The pump comes with a cooler bag that also has an ice pack.
- Medela Pump In Style is one of the most straightforward pumps to organize thanks to the microfiber bag.
- This pump is very time efficient thanks to the two-phase expression technology.
- You can use the battery pack to pump milk from anywhere you want.
- There is minimal risk of spillage because of the built-in bottle holders.
- Moms that pump daily and do it several times through the day will love it as it can handle all this and more.
- Single knob for adjusting the vacuum and speed make the pump settings easy and comfortable.
- It comes with 4 bottles, and they can all fit in the cooler bag.
- This pump is quite heavy, and some moms might find it hard to carry or hold it for extended periods.
- It has an open system, and so it is easy for the milk to get contaminated.
These are some of the best pumps on the market, and they both offer top notch service, convenience, and comfort. They will both appeal to moms that are looking for something reliable, and so there is no outright winner among them. But since they have different features and designs they can be suitable for different situations.
If you plan to go back to work after the baby and want to pump milk at work, the Spectra S2 is a good choice. It is not only a quieter unit, but it is also lighter and more portable than the Medela Pump In Style. The affordable price also makes it ideal for moms that are shopping on a tight budget.
For those that want to pump milk as fast as possible, the Medela Pump In Style is their best pick thanks to the 2-Phase Expression Technology.