Can I Take Alka Seltzer Plus While Breastfeeding?
Diet and medications cause great concerns to breastfeeding moms. You always want to make sure that your intake is safe for you and your nursing baby. If you have colds, you might ask: “Can I take Alka Seltzer Plus while breastfeeding?”
Some medicines cross the breastmilk and may affect your baby. But more foods and medicines are now safer for your baby as compared when you’re still pregnant. Most of the substances that are able to cross the placenta are unable to reach the breastmilk. Moreover, if you are a new mom with no experience, you should also check out some breastfeeding tips while using this medicine.
What Is Alka Seltzer Plus?
Alka Seltzer Plus is a brand offering different variations of colds, cough, and flu medicines. It comes in different forms like liquid gels, effervescent tablets, and hot drink mixes.
There are various combinations of active ingredients aimed to relieve the symptoms you have. For example, Alka Seltzer Plus Maximum Strength cold and cough liquid gels is made for cough, nasal congestion, runny nose, headache and body ache, and sinus pressure. There are blends ideal for day use and night use.
Is It Safe To Take Alka Seltzer Plus While Breastfeeding?
The manufacturer advises that you first consult your physician before taking in the medication. The ingredients acetaminophen and chlorpheniramine contained in Alka Seltzer drugs are generally safe for nursing babies.
However, choose the day-use varieties because they don’t contain phenylephrine. This ingredient will make you drowsy and it might affect your capacity to take care of your baby. It might also decrease milk production which is one of the effects of medications while breastfeeding.
How Should I Take Alka Seltzer Plus When Breastfeeding?
- It’s best to nurse your baby before taking the medication. This will give your body more time to absorb the drug before your next nursing session.
- Stop taking the medication once you experience any undesirable effect on you and your baby and contact your doctor
- Drink plenty of warm water while taking medications. This will aid in the absorption of the medicine and it will also help you heal faster.
- Carefully follow the instructions on the packaging regarding the dose and frequency of your medicine.
- Continue breastfeeding even if you’re sick. Your breastmilk will strengthen your baby’s immunity so don’t worry about transferring the virus to your child. Just wear a mask and practice frequent handwashing.
- If your condition is not improving after 3 days, consult a physician.
The information contained here is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional advice. Always consult your doctor first before taking in any medication.
If you have to take Alka Seltzer Plus while breastfeeding, especially while using manual breast pump, you should closely observe you and your baby. Continue nursing even if you’re sick because it is beneficial to both of you.
To hasten your recovery and avoid spreading your illness, drink plenty of fluids and practice frequent handwashing. Don’t forget to take plenty of rest. Ask for help so you can rest well and heal quickly.
Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions.