How To Choose The Best Whole House Humidifier For Baby and Family – Top Reviews
The humidity level in your house is something that you should not overlook, and this is more so if you have a baby. Humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air, and if it is too low the interior of the house will become uncomfortable, and it is also unhealthy.
If dry air is circulating inside your home, it will draw moisture from everything including eyes, skin, lips and also your carpets and furniture. And this is turn means that your respiratory system will not be unable to remain moist and hence make you and your family more prone to getting colds, asthma and coughs.
The ideal humidity levels inside the house will be anywhere between 30% and 50% depending on the season and to achieve this you will need a humidifier. Although you can always buy a small portable one for the baby’s room, it is always a better idea to go for a whole house unit. But, it is also important to make sure that you go for the best from the many options in the market.
Why You Should Control Humidity In Your House
There are many reasons why you should control the level of humidity in your home. But, the most important one is that it helps to keep the air in the house moist and clean. In most instances, it is very beneficial in cold winter months since it contributes to combating the dry air that is characteristic of the cold weather and minimizes its effects.
By controlling the humidity level with a whole house humidifier, you will prevent health issues that result from the dry air such as a bloody nose, dry sinus passages, sore throat and dry or scaly skin. Also, humidifying will help in the management of problems that can result from asthma flare-ups.
Apart from the health benefits to you and your family humidifying the home can also have benefits for your home’s interior. For example, if the air in the house is dry it can ruin your wallpaper by causing the edges to peel. Also, wood floors and walls can develop cracks, separations, and warps as a result of moisture loss. Humidifying also helps to protect valuable belongings like fine art and musical instruments which can also develop cracks when they lose their moisture.
Top 3 Best Whole House Humidifier For Your Family Reviews
Coverage Area (sq. ft)
Tank Capacity (Gallon)
1. Essick Air AIRCARE EP9 500 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier
Essick Air makes this whole house humidifier for someone that wants an easy to use and convenient unit. It is a 3.5-gallon humidifier with a moisture output of 7.4 gallons, and it uses a digital control and display. This unit has a 9-speed fan, remote control, auto shut-off, adjustable humidistat and some water refill/filter check indicators. Also, AIRCARE EP9 500 comes with four casters for easy mobility.
Features and Design
- Digital Control: AIRCARE EP9 500 features a digital display and control that makes it easy and convenient to use and they also give it a modern/advanced feel. Also, the controls are easy to use, and the display is also clear enough.
- Tank Capacity and Coverage: The tank capacity is 3.5 gallons, and it can deliver up to 7.4 gallons of moisture at the highest setting and cover up to 2,400 square feet. Also, the large tank capacity saves a lot of time since you do not need to keep filling up the unit. But, filling up is also easy thanks to the easy front fill pour-in.
- 9 Speed Fan: You can choose from 9 different fan speeds hence making it possible to select the performance level you desire or to go with the temperature or season. And it can run for up to 60 hours nonstop.
- Remote Control: With this whole house humidifier you will also get a remote control that makes it possible to operate it from the comfort of the couch and meters away for more convenience.
- Auto Shut Off and Adjustable Humidistat: The humidistat on this unit is automatic and also adjustable which allows it to target the humidity. Also, the unit has an auto shut-off function that will shut it down when the tank is empty or when it achieves the desired moisture level.
- Digital controls/display makes it convenient to use.
- It can run nonstop for up to 60 hours.
- The stylish design and appearance will complement any décor.
- It has a front fill reservoir that makes filling easier.
- Like most other advanced whole house humidifiers it also comes with a remote.
- The 9-speed fan makes it possible to select your desired performance level.
- It has coverage of up to 2,400 square feet.
- Mobility is also not an issue since it has some casters for easy movement.
- It is quite a loud humidifier.
- The tile at the top is a cheap plastic.
- The maximum filling line can be a little tricky to see when refilling.
2. Vornado Evap40 4-Gallon Evaporative Humidifier
Whole house humidifier reviews will always list the vortex circulation as one of the best ways to humidify large areas. This unit uses this technology to ensure adequate air flow for up to 1000 square feet.
The tank has a 4-gallon capacity, and it will also produce up to 4 gallons every 24 hours. It also features an adjustable thermostat, 2 Wicks filters and a control panel that is very easy to operate. The tanks are also easy to clean and fill for maximum convenience.
Features and Design
- Capacity: Vornado Evap40 has a large tank capacity as it can accommodate up to 4 gallons of water. Also, it has an output of 4 gallons for every 24 hours to ensure that you get an uninterrupted flow of humidified air.
- Adjustable Humidistat: The adjustable humidistat allows for automatic control of the humidity, and you can also choose from 3-speed settings which are high, medium and low.
- Coverage: This unit is an excellent choice for a medium-size house since it has coverage of up to 1000 square feet. And it uses vortex circulation so you can be confident of adequate movement of the air.
- Filters: Vornado Evap40 comes with two high-quality Wicks filters that will serve you for long, and it will be a while before you need to replace them.
- The 4-gallon tank capacity provides a long and uninterrupted operation.
- This tank is easy to fill and also leak-free and spill-proof.
- The unit uses vortex circulation to give it an extensive coverage and adequate flow.
- Its adjustable humidistat provides automatic control of the humidity.
- You can choose the fan speed and desired humidity level from the easy to use control panel.
- This whole house humidifier is also simple to clean.
- The filling tank is a little awkward.
- This Vornado humidifier might be a bit difficult to move.
- The wicks are quite expensive.
- It is not loud, but the water will glug.
3. Essick Air AIRCARE MA1201 Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier
If price and coverage are what is in your mind when shopping for a humidifier, this unit the best whole house humidifier for you. Apart from being very affordable, AIRCARE MA1201 will also cover up to 3,600 square feet which will be large enough for most people. It also has a 4-speed motor and an automatic mode for convenient operation.
Other key features include a digital humidistat, evaporative wick, and digital control/display. Also, it has a total output of 11.4 gallons, casters and water refill/check indicators.
Features and Design
- Capacity: The easy to fill tank has a capacity of 3.6 gallons, and it will produce 11.4 gallons every 24 hours.
- Coverage: This console-style evaporative humidifier can cover up to 3,600 square feet despite its relatively small size.
- Auto Shut-Off/Adjustable Humidistat: With this unit, you will not need to keep checking the humidity level and making adjustments since the automatic humidistat will do it. Also, the AIRCARE MA1201 humidifier has an auto shut-off function to switch it off in case the tanks get empty or once it achieves the right humidity level.
- Digital Control: The digital display and control make this unit easy to use, and you can monitor and make any adjustments with little effort.
- Other Features: This humidifier also comes with some casters for easy mobility, and it includes check filter and water refill indicators.
- AIRCARE MA1201 will cover up to 3,600 feet.
- This unit has a 4-speed motor and an auto mode.
- The sturdy casters will make it easy to move around the house.
- Digital humidistat will maintain the humidity automatically.
- Evaporative wick traps all the mineral deposits making it is easy to clean.
- For a whole house humidifier, it is quite affordable.
- Compact design will make it easy to handle.
- The filters can be a little hard to find locally.
- It is quite loud when you have it at high fan speed.
- Although it has a warning for changing the filter, it does not always come up at the right time.
Benefits Of Whole House Humidifier
A whole house humidifier might be pricier than the small portable units, but the benefits that it offers make it worth it. By installing the central or whole house humidifiers, you can expect to get the following and many other advantages.
Once you install this humidifier, you will not need to do anything else besides changing the filter after a few months or annually. Although most units will also require you to set the humidistat, you will not have to do anything else until you desire to change the settings.
Humidity Level Monitoring
A whole house humidifier will monitor the level of humidity and only add moisture when necessary. And so these units will help to limit the amount of moisture in your settings. Most small room humidifiers will not have this capability and hence leading to an excess amount of mist in the air which can cause mildew, dust mites and mold.
They Work With Both Soft And Hard Water
Room humidifiers will require soft water to work, and if you use hard water, you can expect issues like clogged filters and mineral deposits. With the best whole house humidifiers, you will never have to worry about these because they will work with both soft and hard water and without requiring any extra maintenance.
Humidified air always feels warmer than the dry air when the room is at the same temperature. And so having a whole house humidifier will always make you feel warm even at low temperature. And so you can save up a significant amount of cash on your heating bill just by installing a whole house humidifier.
How To Choose The Best Whole House Humidifier For Family And Baby
Whole house humidifier will come with many benefits and will always ensure that your home is as comfortable as possible for you and your family. However, all are not the same and so to make sure that you always get the best whole house humidifier, you should consider the factors below when shopping for one.
The type determines everything from the performance to the convenience and comfort level that the humidifier will offer. When it comes to the humidifier kind, you will in most instances need to choose between the warm mist and cool mist humidifiers.
The cool mist humidifiers use less electricity and will also cover large areas, but they are also noisier since they contain several moving parts. Also, there are different kinds of the cool mist humidifiers, but the two common ones are the impeller and evaporative humidifiers.
Warm mist humidifiers work by boiling the water beforehand, and so they tend to use more electricity. However, with these units, you also benefit from breathing air that is bacteria free since they kill the bacteria and mold in the water during the boiling process. The most popular types of these humidifiers are the vaporizers and steam humidifiers.
Filter Or Filterless Humidifier
Once you decide on whether to go for the warm or cold mist humidifiers, you will also need to make a choice between the units with a filter and the filterless ones. Units with a filter will prevent minerals and bacteria from being redistributed in the house. With these filtered whole house humidifiers you will need to change the filter after some time depending on the type and quality.
Some modern units will come without a filter, but they will require regular cleaning. However, the fact that they do not need filter changes means that they are very convenient to own.
The number of rooms that you want to humidify and size of your house are what will determine the right humidifier capacity for you. If you have a home with many rooms, you will need a unit that can distribute the humidified air through all the rooms efficiently while still maintaining the desired humidity level. And so you should always match the humidifier capacity with the size of your house.
You might not always get time for maintaining your whole house humidifier, and so the best idea is always to go for a unit that requires minimal maintenance. Luckily, most of these humidifiers will require little maintenance. The ones that operate with a filter will need occasional filter change which is quite convenient if you do not have a lot of time for maintenance.
Units that are filterless on the other hand will need regular cleaning, but most are easy to clean and should only take a few minutes. And so when it comes to maintenance it is all about choosing the most convenient one for you.
The best whole house humidifier will come with a timer to make it easier to operate. With this humidifier timer, you can set it to switch on at the time when you will be at home and hence need the humidified air most. Also, some units will have a system of monitoring the humidity level in the air and only humidifying when necessary to ensure that there is not too much moisture in the air and that the unit does not use more energy than necessary.
Are There Any Special Considerations When Choosing The Best Humidifier For A Baby?
The main aim of the best humidifier for baby is also to keep the air moist and clean, and so most that work for adults will also be suitable for use by kids. But, it is also important to make sure that the humidifier can filter out antimicrobials since babies will be more sensitive to them than adults. Also, humidifiers for babies should also produce a mist that should also be easier for the child to breathe and should not be hot.
A whole house humidifier will make life more comfortable at home, and it will help to ensure that you can breathe clean and moist air no matter where you are in the house. Also, it will save you money since the operational and maintenance cost is lower that the small room humidifiers.
However, with the various humidifier types on the market, it is important to know how to choose the best. And with the points above in mind and by reading whole house humidifier reviews this should not be a problem.
Enter your text here...