How To Choose The Best Swaddle Blankets For Your Baby
A swaddle blanket is one of the items that come up when you are researching on the essential things that you will need for your baby as you prepare to give birth. Although not all parents swaddle their infants, it is important to have at least four of these blankets before childbirth because there is still the possibility of changing your mind after giving birth.
As you are shopping for your blanket for swaddling it is important to know that there are many types from different manufacturers but you should always aim to buy the best swaddle blankets. For this to be possible, you should do enough research on the various elements that make a good blanket for swaddling an infant.
Top 5 Best Swaddle Blankets Reviews 2018
#1. HALO SleepSack 100% Cotton Swaddle
Design and Benefits
- 3-Way Swaddle: This swaddle system has an impressive 3-way adjustability that lets you choose the best style for your baby's sleep. You can leave the infant with all arms inside the swaddle, one arm in or have both hands out.
- Inverted Zipper: You will not have to distract the child for a diaper change when using this swaddle because it has an inverted zipper. The zipper allows you to open the bottom part of the swaddle to change diapers with minimal disturbances to your infant.
- Adjustable Fasteners: The adjustable straps are a great advantage because they help to ensure that you always get a custom fit. Apart from adjustability they also make this swaddle very easy to use and even first-time parents will have an easy time.
- Hip Healthy: It has a unique design that makes it roomy on the bottom part so that the child can be able to move his legs. The ability to move legs increases comfort and so the child will cry less.
- Material: Although this particular swaddle is from 100% cotton the company also makes it possible to get other that are from micro fleece, chenille but all still have the same impressive design.
- 3-Way adjustability makes it easy to use and comfortable for the infant.
- Cotton is a very durable material, and it is also breathable.
- The sleeveless design helps to ensure that the baby will not overheat.
- It can unzip at the bottom, and this makes it possible to change a diaper without unwrapping.
- Sack design has generous space to allow the baby to kick without removing it.
- This swaddle is very soft and lightweight.
- It comes in some beautiful colors and patterns that make it look cute on your infant.
- This swaddle is affordable, and so you can buy many of them.
- It is quite large, and so it will not be ideal for newborns.
- This swaddle is not very effective in containing the child’s hands.
- The sound that the fasteners make when unfastening or even when you just touch them is too loud.
- Some mothers complain that their babies still sweat a lot when using this swaddle.
- They have been a few cases of the materials bunching tightly on the child’s face and throat.
#2. SwaddleMe Original Swaddle 3-PK
Design and Benefits
- Material: This swaddle is 100% cotton which makes it very soft for the baby, and it is also breathable to reduce sweating and increase comfort.
- Closure: First-time parents will have a very easy time using this blanket due to its secure hook and loop that makes it easy and safe for swaddling.
- Size and Weight: The fact that thus swaddle is less than one pound in weight makes it perfect for infants. Its dimensions are 1.8 x 8.2 x 8 inches which also makes it large enough for use by babies that are up to 14lbs heavy.
- Leg Pouch: The leg pouch on this swaddle pops open quickly, and this will help ensure that you do not have to unwrap the infant’s arms to change diapers.
- Colors: It is available in numerous colors and with simple but attractive patterns. When you buy this product, you get the swaddles in three different colors.
- It is very easy to put on even for those people without any idea on how to swaddle a baby.
- The fleece will offer the infant some extra warmth.
- It is soft and 100% natural cotton material.
- This swaddle comes in a variety of colors and print design.
- The design of the swaddle gives the child a comfortable and womb-like feeling.
- The harness slit will work well with most car seat restraints.
- It is a very affordable swaddle.
- The swaddle makes it easy for the infant to wrangle his arms out.
- It seems a little big for most newborns.
- Most mothers complain that their babies are still able to get their hands out.
- It is quite hard to fold it neatly.
- Some parents also complain that it shrinks after washing.
- Velcro is quite loud, and this can wake the child.
#3. Swaddle Blanket, Adjustable Infant Baby Wrap Set by Ziggy Baby
Design and Benefits
- Material: Ziggy Baby swaddle blankets are 100% cotton, and this is enough reason for you to try them out. Cotton is the perfect material for baby clothing, and this is not only because it is durable but also because it has many other benefits such as breathability and ease of cleaning.
- Adjustability: Adjustability is one of the selling points for these swaddle blankets, and this is rightfully so because it makes sure that you can always give your infant a custom and comfortable fit. The swaddle blankets have some soft wings that you can adjust with some loop and hook attachments.
- Size/Suitability: The size of these swaddles is 26 inches in width when open, and the length is 21 inches. They are for newborn babies, and the manufacturer recommends their use for infants that are between seven and fourteen pounds. This sleep sack is also unisex, and this makes it an ideal gift for your expectant friends.
- Design and Color: This product comes in a variety of colors, and you can also choose from different print patterns. However, regardless of what you buy, you can always be confident that you will get something trendy and stylish.
- The swaddle blanket looks cute, and you will want to have it on your baby.
- It is 100% cotton, and so you do not have to worry about quality and durability.
- Cotton also makes it soft and hence perfect for newborns.
- This blanket is lightweight and breathable for maximum comfort.
- They have some beautiful and fashionable prints and patterns.
- You get the opportunity to choose from several colors.
- The price and packaging (a pack of three) ensure that you get value for your cash.
- Adjustability means that you can always give your baby a custom fit.
- The swaddle blankets are unisex.
- Some parents claim that it comes with an awful odor.
- Velcro is not very durable.
- The Velcro strap is also sharp, and it can scratch an infant.
- It might be too big for some babies.
#4. BundleBee Baby Wrap/Swaddle/Blanket
Design and Benefits
- Material: The fabric for this swaddle is also 100% cotton and so you also get to enjoy all the advantages of this material. The fillings are 100% polyester, and it also comes with a support insert that is 100% coconut fiber.
- Design: BundleBee blanket has a fantastic layout, and it hugs the baby to create a womb-like environment. But, the most remarkable part is that it is still roomy enough to ensure that the infant can still move his arms and legs freely.
- Full Body Protection: It has a unique built-in cushioning that protects the baby from head to toe. This cushioning offers excellent support for the back and neck to ensure that the child is comfortable when other people are holding him.
- Adjustability: It comes with some Velcro strips that will help mothers fasten it and to make sure that it is not excessively loose or tight for the infant. The Velcro also makes it easy to use, and it will only take you a couple of seconds to swaddle the child.
- It is very easy to wash, and it also dries fast.
- The swaddle blanket is from high-quality natural materials.
- It is ideal for both winter and summer thanks to the fillings that reduce both overheating and sweating.
- This blanket also has a built-in cushion for supporting the back and neck.
- The cute design and attractive colors will make your infant look fantastic.
- You can also use this blanket as a play mat for your baby.
- It still provides room for the kid to move his legs and hands freely.
- The swaddle blanket comes with six bright bows (they come in different colors).
- There have been some complaints about the blanket being too thin.
- It has a loose fit which might not please many parents.
- The fastening tie on this swaddle is not attached.
- This blanket is quite pricey.
- You can find one that is hypoallergenic for the same price.
#5. Softest Muslin Swaddle Baby Blankets
Design and Benefits
- Material: These blankets are a blend of bamboo (70%) and cotton (30%). The bamboo is what gives the blanket the extreme softness while the cotton provides it with durability and lasting strength so that you can use it for a long time.
- Multipurpose: Although the primary purpose of this blanket is for swaddling infants you can still use it for many other things. Softest Muslin swaddle is perfect for use as car seat canopy, play mat and even as a nursing cover. There are numerous other things that you can do with the blanket and so you should always carry it everywhere you go if you have an infant.
- Size: This swaddle is huge, and this is one of the reasons why moms love it. Its dimensions are 47 x 47 inches, and this makes it easy to swaddle your child and perfect for use in different ways.
- Design: The feather and arrow sketches on this blanket give it a unique and adorable design, and you can expect many compliments from friends. Apart from being attractive, it is also breathable and soft which makes it ideal for infants.
- The extreme softness makes it perfect for infants.
- It has a unique design that will make your child look and feel special.
- You can utilize it for many other things including as a play mat and nursing cover.
- The massive size of this blanket makes it easy to use when swaddling your infant.
- Cotton and bamboo blend ensure that the swaddle blanket will not unwrap or slip.
- It is a lightweight and very attractive swaddle blanket.
- The double stitching on the seams is perfect, and most people will love it.
- If the price is your key concern, this blanket will be perfect for you as it is very affordable.
- The patterns are great and suitable for both girls and boys.
- The material might seem too thin for some people.
- These blankets will get some snags due to sticking to the Velcro.
- They look stiff and rough when you get them off the packet, but they soften after washing.
- You might need an extra blanket during winter or cold nights as this is not very warm.
Benefits Of Using Swaddle Blanket
Some mothers prefer not to wrap their baby because it is not always necessary. But, pediatricians and other experts tend to advise parents to use a swaddle blanket because it has the following and many other benefits.
- Wrapping a baby with this unique blanket helps them sleep for longer. The swaddle blanket tries to create the snuggled womb-like conditions that the infant was used to before birth, and research proves that this will help lengthen their sleep intervals and also make their REM sleep last longer.
- This blanket limits the movement of the babies legs and hands, and so he will not get disturbed. Less startling in return means that the baby will cry less as there will not be any overstimulation.
- According to some studies using a swaddle blanket on your infant can also help to sooth a baby. It might not do it directly, but it provides a good foundation for other common soothing techniques such as motion and white noise. In fact, research shows that swaddling can decrease crying by up to 42% for infants.
- SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is the greatest threat that a baby faces in his first few years of life. Swaddling your infant can help reduce the risk of SIDS because if you wrap a baby well with a saddle blanket and with his face up you will minimize the likelihood of shifting in his sleep and ending up sleeping on the tummy.
- Infants have very sharp nails that also grow very fast, and if you are not careful, they will end up with nasty scratches as a result of their jerky movements. However, swaddling the infant will reduce or eliminate the likelihood of scratches.
What To Look For In The Best Swaddle Blankets
You can always be certain that there are plenty of options to choose from when shopping for a swaddle blanket. But, all are not the same and so you should focus on only buying the best swaddle blankets. For this to be so, you should always consider the following important things.
The material is always vital when it comes to baby stuff, and the swaddle blanket is not an exception. The best baby blankets are in most cases made from cotton fabrics because they are gentle, soft and lightweight. You can also get blankets that are from flannel, muslin, polyester and knitted wool. The important thing is to understand the advantages and disadvantages of any material before buying it.
2. Type and Style
There are many types of this blanket available, and they include the simple blankets for receiving the baby to the specific types for swaddling.
The traditional ones are small and square in shape, and you have to fold and wrap them around the infant while the modern ones have self-fasteners that make it easy for you to wrap the baby.
There are also some current wearables that you only need to put the baby in place and zip it. All these types and styles of blanket will do the job, and so you only have to pick one according to your tastes and budget
3. Ease of Use
A mother has many things to do, and so she does not need a complicated swaddle blanket that will add some extra work. And so you should always go for something that is easy to use but also has a secure design. If you have other kids, you will have an idea on which type is easy to use but even if you are a first-time mother some reviews and advice from other moms can be very helpful.
Choosing the right shape and size is vital when buying a swaddle blanket because this will determine its usefulness and comfort. A blanket that is too large will not wrap around the baby well, and it is also dangerous because the loose parts can cover the face and lead to suffocation. A small one, on the other hand, might be too tight, and this will make the baby cranky.
Every mom wants their child to have the best things but if you want to have enough money to buy everything that the infant needs you should always consider the price. A swaddle blanket might not be the most expensive baby item, but some like the wearable or sleep sacks can be quite costly. Although they are easier to use than the traditional ones, they still serve the same purpose and so you should consider your budget and choose something that is affordable to you.
Tips For Using A Swaddle Blanket For New Parents
New parents might have some difficulties when it comes to swaddling a child because it is not always very easy. However, with the following tips in mind using a swaddle blanket should not be difficult.
- Only use one blanket to swaddle the baby because over-swaddling with two or more blankets will lead to overheating.
- It is crucial to make sure that the swaddle that you use has a good closure system and will not unravel because loose blankets are dangerous.
- Always focus more on making the blanket comfortable and not tight by allowing the legs and hands to move naturally.
- You should be careful with hand positioning because leaving them on the sides can give the infant joint problems.
- It is important to stop using the swaddle blanket once you notice that your baby can roll.
- Restrict the use of swaddle blanket to sleep time so that the child can get some freedom to move around.
- Make sure that the blanket that you is lightweight and breathable to give the baby maximum comfort.
The comfort and health of your child should always be your top most priority, and so you have to be very keen with everything that you do. Swaddling has many benefits, and most health experts will also advise you do to do it. However, you should ensure that you buy the best swaddling blankets for this. As a new parent, you should also use the easy tips above to ensure things work out well.