Top 5 Best Manual Breast Pumps – Buying Guide and Reviews
Breast milk is always the best for your baby. And the fact that professional organizations and bodies like the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend breastfeeding exclusively for at least months is enough proof of this. But, with the busy schedules, you cannot always be around the baby when he needs to feed, and so you need something for pumping milk.
A manual breast pump can come in handy when you cannot be around to breastfeed your child. With this pump, you can express milk and refrigerate it for the baby to take in your absence. And although there are several other types of breast pumps a manual one always makes an excellent choice for most moms.
With a good manual breast pump, you can express milk for your baby almost anywhere and anytime. Although it comes with many benefits, it is still important to know how to choose the best manual breast pump from the many options out there.
Top 5 Best Manual Breast Pumps
Benefits Of Using Manual Breast Pump
When shopping for a breast pump one of the most important decisions that you need to make is the type to buy. Here you can pick between the hospital grade pumps, automatic pumps electric/battery operated and the manual breast pumps. If you go for a manual one, you can expect the following and many other benefits.
A manual breast pump will only cost a fraction of what you would spend to buy the automatic or hospital grade ones. And so they will be handy when you need an efficient pump but are on a tight budget.
With an infant around every coin counts because there are many things you need to buy. Anything that saves you some bucks is always a great purchase. But it is important to know that just like any other product, manual breast pump prices will differ from one manufacturer to the other. Some brands can be quite pricey but still not as expensive as other breast pump types.
When you are breastfeeding, you might need to pump some milk in the office or on your travels. And so you will need a portable pump that makes this possible. Manual pumps are in most cases compact and lightweight, and so they are very portable. Most of them will also come with a carrying case, and so you can transport them effortlessly.
Easy Set Up
The assembly for this pump is easy and quick to ensure you never have to waste any time trying to pump milk. All you will need to do is place it on the breast and start pumping. Since most will have a basic design and with a few parts, you will not even need to read the manual to start using them. The easy assembly can be very convenient when you only have a few minutes to pump milk at work.
No Power Source Needed
If you are a frequent traveler, finding a power source for your automatic or electric breast pump is not always easy. And this means you cannot be able to express milk until you find an outlet. With a manual breast pump, this will never be an issue because you do not need any power source. All you need to do is to carry the pump, and you can always express milk when you need to, hence making it very convenient.
You Can Set Your Own Pumping Pace
Since you can control the suction by hand, you get to set the pace that you want to pump the milk. Although this might not look like something major, it is a significant benefit for many moms. Sometimes you just want to empty the breast slowly as they feel sore or you just do not like quick pumping. With these pumps, regulating the suction is as easy as reducing the speed at which you squeeze the pump.
How To Choose The Best Manual Breast Pump
There are many benefits that you can get from a manual breast pump, but it is still important to get the best one. Different companies make their manual breast pumps with different features, and without the right information, it might be hard to make your pick. But, if you consider the following factors, you will get the best manual breast pump.
Hygiene is an essential element that you should never overlook when shopping for a manual breast pump. A good one should be easy to clean as it helps to reduce the risk of milk contamination. Those that come with few large parts are easier to clean than those with several small ones. Also, a pump that comes with a cleaning brush and some instructions on how to clean it can also be a great purchase.
Although most manual breast pumps will be uncomfortable when you start pumping, they get more comfortable as you continue. But, some brands also try to make their breast pumps more comfortable by providing massage cups and cushion. Also, those that make it easy to control the suctioning pace and pressure tend to be more comfortable.
The material is one of those things that most moms will overlook when shopping for a manual breast pump but it is still an important factor to keep in mind. Although most are plastic, it is important to make sure that it is BPA-free to prevent it from contaminating your breast milk. The breast pump material should also be phthalate free and also meet all the necessary safety standards.
Manual breast pumps might be the cheapest, but all do not cost the same. Those from the famous brands can be quite expensive. When it comes to the price, you should always go for the most efficient and comfortable unit that is within your budget. Also, you should consider whether you want it as your primary pump or as a backup for your other pump. You should not spend a lot of money on a backup manual breast pump that you will rarely use.
Some extras might not necessarily affect the performance of the pump but can make it more comfortable and convenient. These extras are also important to consider when shopping for your pump to ensure that you have a good experience. They include free bottles with teats that you can express milk straight into and so you do not need to buy them. Others also come with breast pads to protect your clothing and a carry bag to make the breast pump easy to transport to work or when traveling.
Top 5 Manual Breast Pump Reviews
Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump
The Phillips Avent manual breast pump comes in a unique design that ensures that you can express milk from a relaxing and more comfortable position to enhance the flow. It is a compact and lightweight pump, and so you will have minimal hand fatigue no matter how much time you spend pumping.
This pump has an angled neck design that lets milk flow to the bottle naturally. And it features a soft massage cushion that most moms will love as it helps to stimulate the flow of milk. Also, it has fewer parts than most others and hence making it easy to clean and set up. Transitioning from the breast to bottle will also be easy for your child when using this pump since its reservoir bottle features a breast-shaped nipple. Phillips makes the pump with a BPA free plastic material that meets the highest health standards.
- The unique design gives it a more comfortable pumping position.
- It features a soft textured cushion to enhance the flow of milk.
- There are few parts in this pump and hence making it easy to wash.
- Lightweight and compact design will make it easy to hold and position on the breast.
- The duck-bill valve is easy to insert and remove.
- Breast-shaped nipple makes it easy for your infant to transition between the breast and bottle.
- It is a super quiet pump with no tubes, hoses or wires.
- The flange tunnel is shorter than what some moms might prefer.
- Some mothers also complain that the suction is too gentle.
- It does not have a base cover
Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
Medela makes some of the best breast pumps, and they have both electric and manual ones. This manual breast pump is one of their most popular ones, and it is perfect as a backup for your electric pump. It uses a 2-phase expression technology to help you express more milk within a short time, and it has a unique swivel handle that makes the pumping very comfortable.
There are not many parts on this pump and so the assembly, and cleaning is quick and easy. The discrete and lightweight design makes this pump very portable, and you only need a small bag to carry it to work. Like most other breast pumps all the parts that come into contact with the milk are BPA-free. And when you buy it you will also get two spare membranes and two bottles with lids.
- It has a discrete, lightweight and portable design.
- The ergonomic swivel handle will make the pumping comfortable.
- All the parts that will be in contact with the breast milk are BPA-free.
- It uses a 2-phase expression technology to ensure you pump more milk in less time.
- This pump is also easy to clean since it does not have many parts.
- You will hardly hear any sound when pumping as it is super quiet.
- Moms need to use both hands to operate it.
- It only comes in one nipple shield size.
- This pump works best as a backup as it is not very useful for pumping large volumes of breast milk.
Haakaa Silicone Breastfeeding Manual Breast Pump
The Haakaa Silicone manual pump is one of the safest for lactating moms as it does not have any toxins or chemicals that may harm them or their baby. It also comes in a simple one-piece design with no small parts that may require assembly and so it is straightforward to use. This 100% silicone pump is very soft and comfortable, and you will even enjoy expressing the milk when using it.
Cleaning this pump is also easy and straightforward as you can sterilize it with boiling water and it is also a dishwasher safe product. The small size and lightweight also mean that you can put it in almost any handbag and baby bag for easy transportation. There are no cords or batteries on this pump, and it is also eco-friendly.
- It is an extra soft and very comfortable silicone pump.
- There are no small parts on this pump, and it does not need assembly.
- This manual breast pump is one of the easiest to use you can get on the market.
- Cleaning is easy and quick as you can sterilize it with boiling water and it is also dishwasher safe.
- It is a BPA, phthalate, and PVC free and also meets all the FDA safety standards.
- The compact size means it can fit well in any baby bag and handbag.
- It does not produce a lot of suction power.
- The measurements on the pump are a little off.
- You have to buy the lid separately.
Ashtonbee Silicone Breast Pump with Lid
Silicone is one of the materials that should be on your mind when shopping for the best manual breast pump. This eco-friendly breast pump from Ashtonbee features a 100% food-grade silicone construction that makes it soft and very comfortable for mothers.
It is a travel-friendly pump that is also very lightweight, and you will hardly notice it in your handbag or baby bag. The convenient one-piece design means that there are no small parts that you need to assemble before using it and cleaning it is quick and stress-free.
Despite the impressive design and high-quality silicone material, this is still a very cheap breast pump that will make hands free and effortless pumping possible. And it also comes with a lid to keep dust out to prevent milk contamination.
- It is a lightweight and travel-friendly manual breast pump.
- The simple and convenient design mimics the baby’s sucking for a more natural and comfortable breast pumping session.
- It offers almost effortless and hands-free pumping.
- Ashtonbee makes it from 100% food grade silicone material.
- The silicone construction also makes it soft and comfortable for mothers.
- It is a cheap breast pump despite the high-quality material and design.
- The one-piece design makes cleaning quick and stress-free.
- The suction is not as strong as what you get from other manual breast pumps.
- Many users complain that the measurements on the sides are not accurate.
- The lid is not tight enough, and so it can leak or let in some dust.
NOKIRE Manual Breast Pump
NOKIRE Manual Breast Pump is for moms that want something with a lot of suction power so that they can pump a lot of milk within a short time. The company makes it with food-grade silicone that is BPA-free and with approval from the FDA. And so you can be sure that you are using a product that is safe for you and your precious little one.
Also, the soft silicone on the mouth of the pump makes it comfortable when pumping. It is also very silent when in operation to ensure that you maintain your privacy regardless of your location.
This breast pump does not have many parts, and so you can assemble and take it apart very quickly. Cleaning it is also very simple as you can use boiling water to sterilize it and it is also a dishwasher safe product. The manufacturer provides a 100% money back guarantee for this breast pump, and so moms can be confident that they are buying a high-quality product.
- The manufacturer uses food-grade silicone to ensure that your milk remains natural and safe for your baby.
- The material is also BPA-free, and it has an FDA approval.
- You also get a free lid and a nipple when you buy this breast pump.
- It is silent enough to keep your milk expressing sessions private.
- Assembling it is easy and quick since it has few parts.
- Silicone is soft and comfortable on the breast, and it will not hurt your nipples.
- It is easy to clean and sterilize as you only need some soap and boiling water or putting it in a dishwasher.
- This pump is ultra-light for easy portability.
- The suction power might be too much for some moms.
- It is not a heavy duty breast pump.
- The massager attachment is not the best, and it needs some improvement.
A manual breast pump is one of the best gifts that you can get as a lactating mother. This pump makes it possible to express milk almost anywhere so that your little ones will always have something to drink when you are not at home. It is portable and does not require any power source which means that it does not come with wires or tubes.
There are many other advantages that you can get from a manual breast pump. But with the many brands and types on the market, it is important to know how to make your pick. With the factors above in mind, this should also not be an issue. And our reviews of some of the top units in the market should make your choice even easier.