Choosing The Best Crib Mattress For Safe Sleep
Choosing a baby's mattress is as important as buying the best crib because none can work without the other. Some parents can find it tedious, but if you want your baby to be comfortable, you have to take the time to ensure that you buy the best. And this is more so given the fact that your child will spend almost 18 hours sleeping.
The best crib mattress should be firm, and it should fit properly so as not to pose any danger to your baby. With a little information on the different types available and what to consider, the choice will not be difficult.
Top 5 Best Crib Mattresses 2018
#1. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
Features and Benefits
- Hypoallergenic: I hate dust mites, allergens and bacteria and the fact that I cannot withstand them I also would not like my baby to sleep with them in his crib. And so the fact that this mattress is hypoallergenic makes it an excellent choice for me and thousands of other mothers.
- Design: Most parents will often overlook the design of a crib mattress and instead concentrate more on its appearance, but this is a huge mistake. I also had the same problem, but I was once forced to replace a crib mattress three times in one year and so am always keen with the design when shopping. Safe 1st Heavenly Dreams mattress has a high-density fiber core that is thermo-bonded, and I love this because it makes it firm enough for a baby.
- Waterproof: Kids are messy, and this is regardless of how keen you are as a parent. Cleaning a mattress can be hectic, but you still have to ensure it is in good condition for the safety of the child. It is for this reason that Heavenly Dreams comes with a waterproof cover. With this mattress, I only have to wipe it clean, and this only takes a couple of minutes.
- Dimensions and Weight: I have tried many crib mattresses in the past, and so I know that weight matters. If it is heavy, you will have a hard time changing the sheets and you might also not be able to spread them correctly. However, this one weighs only 6.4 pounds and so any parent can lift it effortlessly. The dimensions are 52 x 27.5 x 5 inches, and this makes it a perfect fit for all standard size cribs.
- The other things that I like about this mattress are the fact that it does not use any harmful chemicals in its construction, and it is also lead and phthalates free.
- It is lead and phthalates free.
- This mattress is very lightweight to make sheet changing easy.
- Durable for continuous use as the baby grows.
- Waterproof for easy cleaning.
- The crib mattress is also hypoallergenic.
- It does not use any harmful chemicals in its construction.
- Heavenly Dream is a perfect fit for most cribs.
- The vinyl appears too thin.
- Its cover is prone to tearing.
- This mattress is not as soft as others.
- Some parents complain that the middle sinks after some time.
#2. Crib Mattress/Toddler Bed Mattress From Newton
Features and Benefits
- Breathable Design: My baby's health comes first, and this is the first thing that I have in mind when shopping for a crib mattress, and it is the reason why I would recommend this particular one from Newton. It lets a baby breathe through it comfortably, and this is vital because it reduces the probability of suffocation. Apart from this I also love the fact that unlike most other crib mattresses the breathability also enhances air circulation to prevent overheating.
- Washable: It is hard to overlook cleaning and maintenance when choosing a crib mattress. In the past, I have had to get rid of some because I could not clean them and this is annoying because that it money down the drain. Newton makes this mattress 100% washable and so you will not have to throw it away.
- Hypoallergenic: The bacteria and allergens that keep us awake will not affect your baby when he or she is sleeping, and neither will they make the child sick because they cannot survive on this mattress.
- Material: The inside of this mattress is a ten percent food grade polymer. It does not have any latex, glue, and springs that you find in other substandard mattresses. I also love the fact that it does not have toxic chemicals and off-gassing.
- Highly breathable.
- Mattress has an appealing design.
- It is very comfortable and durable.
- Newton only uses safe materials in its manufacture.
- This mattress is a hundred percent washable.
- It has just the right amount of firmness.
- The hypoallergenic design makes it safe for the baby.
- It is quite expensive.
- Some parents complain that it is not soft enough.
- Polyester might not be good for a child’s health.
- It takes a long time for the child to get used to it.
#3. My First Mattress Premium Memory Foam Crib
Features and Benefits
- Materials: I cannot insist enough the need to ensure that you only go for a mattress with top notch materials. And this is not only for the sake of your baby's comfort but also to ensure you do not waste money on another mattress within a short time span. My First Mattress has flexible polyurethane foam that is CertiPUR-Us, and it also has a removable and washable cover, and this makes it a perfect example of a mattress with excellent materials.
- Thickness: A thick bedding is almost always more comfortable than a thin one. Apart from this I also love the fact that it lasts for a long time, and so the 5-inch thickness of this mattress is perfect. And this is more so because it still works with almost all fitted sheets.
- Safety: The safety of a baby is paramount, and I am sure this is the same for all parents, and so I would be ready to spend a fortune to ensure that he sleeps safely. The manufacturer of this mattress understands what parents feel about safety, and so it is lead and phthalates free to make it baby safe. I also love the fact that it meets all the flammability standards.
- Comfort: Comfort is one of the things that set this mattress apart from the rest, and this is because the compressed high-density memory foam has just the right firmness to ensure that a baby sleeps peacefully.
- Durability: Babies will only use the crib for a few years, but this amazing crib mattress comes with a ten-year warranty. It is a very impressive feature, and I love this because most other companies will only give you a few months warranty and at most one year.
- It has a waterproof cover.
- The cover is also washable.
- Extra firmness is perfect for infants.
- It is hypoallergenic and anti-microbial.
- The mattress has no chemical smells.
- This premium mattress is plush and very soft.
- Fits perfectly on standard size cribs.
- Not suitable for newborns.
- It is a pricey mattress.
- This mattress may dip in permanently where the child places the head.
- Good quality crib mattress but it will not last very long.
#4. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
Features and Benefits
- Design: Soybean is the material that I will always turn to when shopping for an organic crib mattress because it never disappoints. What I like about the soy foam core is the fact that it uses less oil and petroleum products and also because it is ultra-supportive and prevents sagging.
- Waterproof Binding and Surface: You cannot stop or avoid baby messes, but a good mattress like this one makes them easy to clean. The surface and binding are waterproof, and so a damp cloth is all you need for cleaning. I also noticed that the fabric cover with a woven jacquard resists allergens and stains to ensure that the baby is safe.
- Airflow Pocket: Sealy Soybean foam core mattress uses a simple but very effective technology to make sure that it stays clean and fresh for many years. At first, I did not know what the small pocket on the side was all about, but I now know that it is for airflow, and it eliminates the need for small metal vents.
- Square Corners: The square corners on this mattress might not look like much, but they are an important feature because they give it a snug fit in any crib. I like the fact that one does not have to waste time trying to fit it, and this is more so when moving it to a different crib.
- Poses no suffocation risk.
- It has just the right firmness for a baby.
- Dimensions are perfect for all cribs.
- Materials do not release any toxins.
- Lightweight makes it easy to use.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The waterproof cover is easy to clean with baby wipes or cloth.
- You get to choose from different design patterns.
- Vinyl cover tears easily.
- It has an unpleasant odor when it is new.
- Most babies will take a long time to get used to it.
- This mattress does not seem breathable.
- It does not look durable.
#5. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer
Features and Benefits
- Design: I did not know anything about Moonlight Slumber before coming across this mattress because it is not as famous as the other baby mattress manufacturers. But, anybody that buys and uses this crib mattress will love the company and probably also become a loyal customer. The two-stage sleep system design is fantastic, and it makes it possible for both a toddler and infant to use it. It has a soft and plush side for toddlers and an extra firm one for babies.
- Dimensions and Weight: It is probably not the lightest, but it is still lighter than some of the most common ones on the market. I like this mattress because it just weighs 8.2 pounds and although it is heavier than most of the ones I have used in the past it makes up for the extra weight by being very flexible. The dimensions are 52 x 27 x 5 inches, and it has some squared corner and edges for a snug fit.
- Material: You have to be sure of the material of a mattress before buying it. And this is because it is what determines how good it will work. From my experiences, I know that foam will always serve you well and so the fact this one is 100% foam with a natural fire resistance makes me give it a thumbs up.
- Hypoallergenic and Waterproof: The waterproof feature is what most of us are always looking for, and this is rightfully so because crib mattresses are not always easy to clean. Apart from this, the Little Dreamer is also hypoallergenic to keep the dust mites and allergens in check.
- Its light weight makes pad and sheet change effortless.
- The cover is soft and high quality.
- Its Antimicrobial coating gives it a nice touch.
- Waterproof covers and seamless edges are excellent.
- It has a good firmness balance between infant and toddler sides.
- Corners and edges are square for a perfect fit.
- It is naturally fire resistant.
- Little Dreamer has dual sides for toddler and baby use.
- There are some complaints about length not matching manufacturer specifications.
- Durability and longevity are hard to predict as it is relatively new in the market.
- Quite an expensive product if you compare with other brands.
- It will start to cave in at the center after some time.
Which Types Of Crib Mattresses Are Good For Your Baby?
Information is vital when choosing a crib mattress because if you do not have the knowledge required things will be very tough for you and so you are likely to end up with the wrong one. The first thing that you need to know is the different types of crib mattresses available and the merits and demerits of each one of them. And this should not be a problem because there are not as many as those for adults. The most common ones include the following.
The foam mattress is the most popular choice for many parents because it is also cheap. It is the most basic type because it has only one or a couple of blocks of foam and it is between three and six inches while it weighs anything between 5 and 11 pounds. The materials that make this type of mattress include bamboo, latex, and polyurethane. Although foam is cheap, it is not very durable, and this is more so if you compare it with the other types.
One can also refer to coil spring mattresses as the innerspring, and this name comes from the coiled steel that makes their core. These springs also make them heavier and more durable than the regular foam mattress. The number of coils inside and the gauge of the wire is what determines the level of comfort and support that you get, and so this is what you should consider if you prefer to buy an innerspring mattress.
Natural and Organic
Organic mattresses are more expensive than the innerspring and foam ones. And this is because they are the healthiest option for your baby because their manufacture entails using 100% organic materials.
These materials include organic cotton, coconut fiber and natural latex with each one of them having some advantages and disadvantages. It is not always possible to generalize when it comes to organic mattresses because different manufacturers will make them in distinct ways and so you need to do in-depth research on the specific one that you want to buy.
Just as the name suggests these types of crib mattresses have memory foam as the top part and most also have a spring base. This material gives it the ability to conform to the shape of your baby's body, and this means that they will offer the child maximum comfort when sleeping. They also reduce the amount of air circulation and this in turn ensures that your little one remains warm.
What To Look For In A Best Crib Mattress For Your Baby
Knowing the different types and designs of crib mattresses available on the market is very beneficial but still not enough to help you make the right choice. Apart from this, you will also need to know the factors to consider to make sure that you choose the best crib mattress for your baby, and this is regardless of the type that you want to buy. Below are some of these important things that you should always keep in mind.
As mentioned earlier on there are many types of crib mattresses available on the market, and each one of them has advantages and disadvantages. And so it is vital to consider this when choosing the mattress and only go for something that will benefit your child the most. For example, a foam mattress might be cheap, but it will not last as long as the innerspring, and it is also not as safe as the organic one.
A good crib mattress should fit snugly without leaving any spaces between the frame of the crib and its sides. Although the size of both the crib and mattress are standardized the slight variation in design and the fact that they come from different brands means that not all will fit each crib perfectly. And so you should be very keen to ensure that what you choose is ideal for your baby’s particular type of crib.
The golden rule when it comes to crib mattress firmness is that the firmer the mattress is, the better it will be for your child. Although it might look hard for you, it will not be for your baby as he will adjust to it with time. A simple test to ensure that a mattress is firm enough will entail pressing on it at the center and edges. If it snaps back immediately, and it does not conform to the shape of your hand, then it is firm enough.
You should always keep in mind the fact that you will have to lift the mattress every day to change the sheets, and so weight is also a critical factor to consider when shopping. Regular foam ones weigh 7 or 8 pounds while the innerspring can weigh up to 25 pounds and so you should go for something that you can handle comfortably.
A mattress with an effective way of venting will always smell better than one that is just solid. And so it is also important to consider whether the mattress has a system for venting or not before you spend your money on it. You should check to see whether it has some small holes on the sides that let air in and out.
As much as you would want your little angel to be comfortable when sleeping, you can only buy what is within your budget. But, the best thing is that crib mattresses come in various price ranges, and so you will always find something affordable for you.
It is crucial to consider the cost and for this, you should take into account things like whether you intend to use it in future for another baby. A foam mattress is perfect for use by one child as it does not cost much while and innerspring or the organic ones are more expensive but will last for a long time.
Your baby comes before anything else, and so his comfort should be a top priority. One way to ensure that they are comfortable is by buying them the best crib mattress. Finding one should also not be a problem because you only need to know the different types available and what to consider when shopping. Just take your time and consider all the options before settling for what you find safest for your kid.